Purpose of the Role
The Deputy Director of Development, Mid-Atlantic/South will play a key role raising resources to advance the mission of the Obama Foundation and help build, operate, and endow the Obama Presidential Center (OPC). You will join the Obama Foundation during a time of momentum as the Foundation’s Development team continues to grow and as it prepares to launch the public phase of its ongoing capital campaign.
You will manage a portfolio of prospects in the Mid-Atlantic/South region, with the goal of building relationships and a pipeline in various states across the region, including Florida, Georgia, and Texas. The Deputy Director will be responsible for the qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gift prospects and donors at the six- to seven-figure level. Reporting directly to the Director of Development, East and supported by a Development Analyst, you will work closely with Foundation leadership to build donor relationships in one of the Foundation’s highest potential regions.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Portfolio Management and Support: Cultivate, solicit, and steward a large portfolio of major gift prospects (6 - 7 figures), while assisting and providing meeting support to the Director of Development, East with leadership gift prospects (7 - 8 figures) as needed;
- Prospect Research: Research and identify new prospects, analyzing their giving histories and developing cultivation strategies, in partnership with the Prospect Research team;
- Principal and Surrogate Management: Plan and execute multiple principal and senior staff prospecting visits to region per quarter;
- Volunteer Management: Provide guidance and support for volunteer staff fundraising efforts and participate in the planning and execution of key fundraising events;
- Event Planning & Implementation: Partner with Development Events team in the ideation and execution of regional cultivation and stewardship events;
- Prospect Tracking: Maintain accurate and timely tracking of gift and prospect activity in Salesforce to ensure appropriate cultivation, solicitation, negotiation, and stewardship;
- Development Communications: Lead preparation of development-related communication including correspondence, proposals, spreadsheets, reports, and briefing memos, in partnership with the Development Communications team;
- Customized Donor Stewardship: Work in partnership with teams across the Foundation, including the Obama Presidential Center, Global Programs, Public Engagement, Product & Technology, and Finance, to develop customized cultivation and stewardship strategies for donors.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Key Deliverables / Outcomes
- Prospect Research Reports
- Prospect Tracking Analysis Reports
- Prospect Contact Management Plan
- Development Communication Deliverables
- Fundraising Events
- Cultivation and Stewardship Events
- Donor Stewardship Strategies and Plans
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising or donor relations, including a minimum of two years in a frontline position securing funds directly;
- Track record of building relationships with major and principal gift level donors, ideally closing gifts of at least $100K+;
- Deep understanding of fundraising programs and high-level gift strategies;
- Experience and comfort working in an entrepreneurial environment;
- The ideal candidate will be results-driven and collaborative, and will have excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence, with an ability to develop and maintain long-term, productive relationships internally and externally.
In the interest of employee health and safety during the pendency of the COVID-19 global pandemic, the Obama Foundation is requiring that all prospective employees present proof that they are fully-vaccinated against COVID-19, or seek a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons, prior to their first day of employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at email@example.com if you require a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.