Purpose of the Role
The Deputy Director of Development, Northern California and Pacific Northwest will play a key role raising resources to advance the mission of the Obama Foundation and help build, operate, and endow the Obama Presidential Center on the South Side of Chicago. Reporting directly to the Director of Development, Northern California and Pacific Northwest and supported by an Analyst, this position will serve as a strategic partner to the Director in executing the fundraising strategy for the entire region. This position will manage a portfolio of prospects in the region, and will be responsible for the qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gift prospects and donors at the six- to seven-figure level. This position will also work closely with select members of the Regional Council as well as Foundation leadership to build donor relationships in one of the Foundation’s highest potential regions.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Portfolio Management and Support: Cultivate, solicit, and steward a large portfolio of major gift prospects (six- to seven-figures), while assisting and providing meeting support to the Region’s Director of Development with leadership gift prospects (seven- to eight-figures) as needed; plan and execute multiple principal and senior staff prospecting visits to region per quarter;
- Prospect Research: Research and identify new prospects, analyzing their giving histories and developing cultivation strategies, in partnership with the Prospect Research team;
- Volunteer Management: Provide guidance and support for volunteer staff fundraising efforts and participate in the planning and execution of key fundraising events;
- Event Planning & Follow Up: Partner with Development Events team in the ideation and execution of regional cultivation and stewardship events and manage follow up;.
- Prospect Tracking: Maintain accurate and timely tracking of gift and prospect activity in Salesforce to ensure appropriate cultivation, solicitation, negotiation, and stewardship;
- Development Communications: Lead preparation of development-related communication including correspondence, proposals, spreadsheets, reports, and briefing memos, in partnership with the Development Communications team;
- Customized Donor Stewardship: Work in partnership with teams across the Foundation, including Global Programs, Obama Presidential Center Museum, Public Engagement, Creative & Communications, and Finance, to develop customized cultivation and stewardship strategies for donors.
Key Deliverables / Outcomes
- Prospect research reports
- Prospect tracking analysis reports
- Prospect contact management plan
- Development communication deliverables
- Fundraising events
- Cultivation and stewardship events
- Donor stewardship strategies and plans
- A minimum of five years of experience in fundraising or donor relations, including a minimum of two years in a leadership position securing funds directly
- Track record of building relationships with major gift level donors, ideally closing gifts of at least $100K+
- Deep understanding of fundraising programs and high-level gift strategies
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence, with an ability to develop and maintain long-term, productive relationships internally and externally
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at email@example.com if you require a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.