Position Title: Development Associate
Reports To: Vice President, Development
Department: External Affairs
Location: New York City Headquarters
About the Open Space Institute
The Open Space Institute (OSI) protects scenic, natural and historic landscapes to ensure public enjoyment, conserve habitats, and sustain community character. OSI achieves its goals through land acquisition, conservation easements, special loan programs, creative partnerships, and analytical research.
The Open Space Institute seeks a Development Associate to provide proactive, responsive and effective support to advance the full range of OSI’s fund-raising outreach, including major donors, annual appeals, grants, and special events. Reporting to the Vice President for Development and supporting the donor outreach efforts of OSI’s executive and program management teams, the Development Associate is responsible for maintaining the donor database, tracking all donors and prospect activities from cultivation plans to incoming donations, gift acknowledgements, and reporting/stewardship plans. The Development Associate will also craft donor correspondence and assist with the production and implementation of appeal campaigns, grant applications and funder reports, and other fundraising communications.
Primary/ Essential Responsibilities & Duties
Donor Management (Individual and Institutional) -
- Update and maintain the Raiser’s Edge database of donors and prospects, ensuring timely execution and entry of activities, including reconciliation with Salsa Engage
- Process incoming funds and reconcile/coordinate gifts with Finance Department
- Produce fundraising reports and mailing lists from donor database
- Craft gift acknowledgements and generate and track tax-receipts in a timely manner
- Maintain systems to track grants, grant deliverables, and timetables
- Send reminders to donors when pledge payments are due
- Assist with government grant compliance including maintaining pre-qualification status, assembling reimbursement requests, and completing required documentation
- Manage miscellaneous procedures and registrations (i.e. such as matching gifts)
- Produce and maintain letter and document templates
- Assist in the writing and preparation of grant proposals and funder reports
- Craft correspondence for individual donors and other stakeholders
- Create, organize, and assist with assets as needed for donor meetings and major gift asks
Prospect Research -
- Undertake prospect research for individuals, foundations, public institutions, and corporations
- Assist in identifying prospective donors
- Support the VP for Development and the Development team by performing administrative duties as needed including organization of digital and hard copy records, filing, copying, sorting, mailing, etc.
- Take the lead on process and operations communications for the Development Team
- Provide support for event logistics
- Assist with activities for OSI’s Board of Trustees and Campaign Committees
- Assist with administration of outgoing grants and contracts
Required Skills / Core Competencies
- Possess strong interpersonal skill, common sense, and a warm and outgoing personality. This is extremely important given the diverse nature of the organization and the communication aspects of the position, both internal and external.
- Ability to think and act strategically. Must be able to take initiative and build and maintain a strong rapport and positive relationships with donors, prospective donors, and staff.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Demonstrated writing skills, specifically for donor correspondence
- Excellent formatting skills and thorough familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to work to reasonable deadlines and plan accordingly
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize numerous ongoing projects
- Be able to maintain the confidentiality of privileged information.
- Minimum four years direct experience in fundraising/development role in non-profit sector.
- An undergraduate degree is required
- Experience in and successful track record in writing donor reports
- Some experience crafting grants/requests and with contracts and agreements preferred.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or equivalent CRM/donor database
- Familiarity with environmental and/or land conservation issues is desirable
- The position is based in OSI’s New York City office.
- Frequently sits for long periods of time
- Frequently speaks, reads, writes and uses a computer keyboard
- May require occasional standing, walking, lifting, stooping, bending, moving files
- Occasional events outside standard office hours and in other locations where OSI operates
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
How to Apply
Attach a cover letter that includes where you saw the job posting and your salary expectations with your resume. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through November 30, 2021. No phone calls, please.
Competitive salary and excellent benefits, including paid time off and paid holidays.
For more information and to apply, go to https://www.openspaceinstitute.org/careers
OSI is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We recognize that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of all genders, diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. We encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
OSI is an equal opportunity employer and is actively recruiting a diverse workforce. Land conservation benefits all people. Our mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of all genders, diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.