Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
The Principal Gifts Coordinator will be part of an aggressive and growing Development team. Reporting to the Major Gifts Senior Director in the San Francisco office, the Coordinator will be responsible for supporting two major gifts officers’ efforts to cultivate, solicit, and steward portfolios of EDF’s principal and major donors. The Coordinator will be expected to employ the highest standards of a donor-centered approach to fundraising. This position is a growth opportunity for someone interested in the Development profession and offers the opportunity to work with EDF’s fundraisers. EDF is committed to the success and growth of fundraising and provides a stellar opportunity to learn the trade from top fundraisers.
This position is a hybrid position working out of an EDF office.
- Work closely with the major gifts officers to engage top donors; develop deep familiarity with the portfolio and work plan to assist and learn from the gift officers.
- Draft, edit, and/or proofread talking points for donor meetings, proposals, stewardship reports and other communications.
- Oversee the proposal and report development process, ensuring teams stay on track and deadlines are met.
- Assist in the timely and accurate preparation of donor and prospect visits.
- Assist with tracking of donor relationships, workplans and projections.
- Produce individualized acknowledgements and other correspondence for donors, ensuring their accuracy and consistency with EDF’s style and messaging.
- Help develop fundraising reports to track goals, giving and fundraising activities.
- Participate in donor strategy sessions.
- Other special projects, as assigned.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience preferably in a fundraising, nonprofit or academic setting is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compose, edit, and expertly proofread correspondence and other documents.
- Exceptional organizational, planning and administrative skills and ability to juggle multiple priorities.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills and the ability to convey complex ideas in writing, with a level of clarity and sophistication expected by our donors and prospects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff at the national and affiliate offices, as well as with volunteers, donors, and outside vendors.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Strong ability to actively listen and deftly navigate and manage relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity; the ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet research. Experience working with Salesforce, fundraising or relational databases strongly preferred.
- Desire to learn major gifts fundraising.
- Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 62,000 - 66,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/principal-gift-coordinator
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.