With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Locations: New York, Austin, Boston, Boulder, Raleigh, Remote - US, San Francisco, Washington
The Principal Gifts Coordinator will be part of a highly productive and growing Development team. The Principal Gifts Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the efforts of senior fundraisers to cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of EDF’s leadership and principal donors. The Coordinator will be expected to employ the highest standards of a donor-centered approach to fundraising playing a key role in the solicitation and stewardship of EDF’s donors. This position is a growth opportunity for someone interested in gaining the skills to become a frontline fundraiser at a top organization. EDF is committed to the success and growth of departmental talent and this position provides a stellar opportunity to learn the trade from top fundraisers.
- Work closely with senior development officers to engage top donors; develop deep familiarity with their portfolios and work plans to assist and learn from the officers.
- Compose, edit, and proofread talking points for senior officers’ donor meetings, briefings, proposals, stewardship reports, acknowledgements, and other communications; coordinating with the Donor Communications team, ensuring documents meet the highest standards of writing and content reflects EDF’s priorities.
- Assist in the timely and accurate preparation of donor and prospect visits. Participate in donor strategy sessions.
- Enter donor contacts into Salesforce; analyze and develop various fundraising reports tracking goals, giving, and fundraising activities.
- Coordinate and lead internal strategy calls with program, finance, and development communications staff to facilitate appropriate and timely donor reports and proposals.
- Conduct initial research on donors and prospects and create a portfolio of information for strategy and planning process.
- Track EDF and other relevant environmental news; as well as google alerts for donors in portfolio. Make recommendations for outreach to senior development officer’s portfolio and draft correspondence designed to deepen donor engagement.
- Design and implement overall engagement and fundraising strategy for a portfolio of prospects with a capacity to make five-figure gifts.
- Meet one-on-one with prospects/donors and coordinate program staff in the cultivation and solicitation of donors in assigned portfolio. Staff meetings and appropriately brief program colleagues.
- Oversee the drafting and editing of proposals and reports for assigned portfolio working closely with donor communications to ensure compelling, visionary ideas are presented.
- Engage donors in assigned portfolio to create cultivation events to deepen their engagement with EDF and help identify new prospects from their networks.
- Take the lead in onboarding and training of newly hired development assistants.
- Actively manage and oversee administrative needs as necessary.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Respond to donor and staff inquires and other special projects, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience preferably in a fundraising, nonprofit or academic setting is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compose, edit, and expertly proofread correspondence and other documents.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills and the ability to convey complex ideas in writing, with a level of clarity and sophistication expected by our highly integral donors and prospects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff at the national and affiliate offices, as well as with volunteers, donors, and outside vendors.
- High ability to actively listen to colleagues, senior development management and donors to deftly navigate and manage relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity; the ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet research. Experience working with Salesforce, fundraising or relational databases strongly preferred.
- Desire to learn major gifts fundraising.
- Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/principal-gifts-coordinator-4
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.