With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Reporting to the Vice President, Strategic Initiatives and Development, the Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the Vice President’s efforts to cultivate, solicit, and steward a select portfolio of EDF’s trustees and principal donors. The Coordinator will be expected to employ the highest standards of a donor-centered approach to fundraising playing a key role in the solicitation and stewardship of EDF’s top donors.
The Coordinator will also support the Vice President’s work with program executives to enhance their donor-related activities, including organizing high-impact donor engagement opportunities and articulating compelling visions to inspire large investments in their work.
This position is a growth opportunity for someone interested in the Development profession and offers the opportunity to work with EDF’s senior fundraisers and program executives. The Principal Gifts Coordinator will be part of an aggressive and growing Development team. EDF is committed to the success and growth of fundraising and provides a stellar opportunity to learn the trade from top fundraisers.
This position will be located in one of EDF’s offices in Boston, NYC, San Francisco, or Washington, DC. Initially, due to Covid-19, the position will operate remotely until EDF deems it is safe to return to working in-person.
- Work closely with VP, Strategic Initiatives and Development to engage top donors; develop deep familiarity with the portfolio and work plans
- Compose, edit, and proofread talking points for donor meetings, briefings, proposals, stewardship reports and other communications; coordinating with the Donor Communications team, ensuring that donor documents meet the highest standards of writing and that the content reflects EDF’s priorities.
- Assist in the timely and accurate preparation of donor and prospect visits.
- Produce individualized acknowledgements and other correspondence for donors, ensuring their accuracy and consistency with EDF’s style and messaging.
- Analyze and develop various fundraising reports tracking goals, giving and fundraising activities.
- Participate in donor strategy sessions.
- Respond to donor and staff inquires and other special projects, as assigned.
- Provide support for various strategic initiatives within the Development Department.
- Interface with program executives and teams to help develop and implement strategies for engaging donors in their work with the goal of inspiring new and increased gifts.
- Provide administrative support to VP including: drafting letters, emails, correspondence, scheduling appointments, processing expenses, and arranging travel.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience preferably in a fundraising, nonprofit or academic setting is preferred.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity; the ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Comfortable working with minimal supervision with a remote supervisor.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compose, edit, and expertly proofread correspondence and other documents.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills and the ability to convey complex ideas in writing, with a level of clarity and sophistication expected by our highly integral donors and prospects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff at the national and affiliate offices, as well as with volunteers, donors, and outside vendors.
- High ability to actively listen to colleagues, senior development management, and donors to deftly navigate and manage relationships.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet research. Experience working with Salesforce, fundraising or relational databases strongly preferred.
- Desire to learn major gifts fundraising.
- Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.