The Vice President, Development (VPD) is an integral part of DoSomething’s dynamic senior leadership team. Reporting directly to the CEO, the VPD will be an ambitious, highly experienced, strategic development professional with a proven track record of generating a diverse revenue stream and cultivating a team in support of this effort.
The VPD will be responsible for crafting a clear vision and results-driven roadmap for development that includes fundraising and development best practices, and building and effectively managing a team of five employees. This is an exciting opportunity for a leader who has a passion for generating resources for youth-led social change and who is prepared to excel in a goals-oriented and mission-driven environment.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Lead the overall creation and execution of the Development strategy for increasing revenue, meeting annual operating and revenue goals, and actively growing and diversifying funding streams to include individuals, corporations, foundations, government funding, and special events.
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of current and new donors, prospects and key strategic partners at the five-, six- and seven-figure level
- Execute a multi-faceted corporate partnership program designed to meaningfully engage clients, and negotiate and secure funded collaborations
- Expand and strengthen the public, private and family foundation portfolio
- Cultivate government contacts and research, apply for and begin to secure relevant government funding
- Support the creation of annual budgets and multi-year fundraising plans ,including long-range objectives and criteria for monitoring progress and measuring success
- Establish and maintain data-driven systems and structures to support weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting to internal and external stakeholders; leverage data systems for exemplary donor stewardship
- Monitor and iterate fundraising progress against targets
- Manage the day-to-day administration and execution of all fundraising and development operations
Oversee the development and execution of all fundraising, cultivation, and stewardship events.
- Ensure all fundraising, cultivation, and stewardship events are aligned with the larger strategic plan for Development
- Outline revenue strategy for existing fundraising events on a national scale, including the annual DoSomething Gala held in New York City
- Manage all logistics, including oversight of planners, consultants, and volunteers
- Create a cultivation and stewardship strategy to convert event attendees and volunteer leadership to annual major donors
Communications and Thought-Leadership
Represent DoSomething through thought-leadership opportunities including, but not limited to, presenting at conferences and contributing to editorial and content creation. Stay current on trends across cause spaces relevant to DoSomething and probe regularly for opportunities to share, promote or articulate organizational POV.
People, Team & Organizational Leadership
Define and set team values, culture and direction. Manage and lead by example with clear intention and commitment to building a collaborative, fun and results-oriented team towards excellence.
- Spearhead the design and development of the organization’s Development function including, but not limited to: hiring, training, and mentoring a diverse team of professionals to execute on all KPIs
- Cultivate a team that reflects the communities we serve and advocate for continuous growth, development and advancement
- Set objectives and performance goals for individual team members consistent with the strategic plan and linked to desired organizational outcomes
- Work closely with VP, Operations and Finance to reconcile Development and Fiscal record-keeping and donation tracking
- Work closely with the VP, Communications & Marketing to create and execute print and digital communications, special events, and other efforts, as needed
- Encourage collaboration throughout and across every level of the organization; partner to assess, iterate and evolve critical business processes
- Foster a culture of innovation and ideation across departments and teams
- Act as a brand ambassador for DoSomething’s mission, vision, and programs